Innovations in democracy since 2004

Oct 21: Biden 357 EV (D+5.4% from toss-up), Senate 53 D, 47 R (D+4.8%), House control D+5.0%
Moneyball states: President NV AZ PA, Senate AK MT IA, Legislatures KS TX NC

Electoral innovation at Princeton

September 21st, 2020, 10:22pm by Sam Wang

Many of you are making use of the donation links in the right sidebar. In addition, I call your attention to our own work. We are working in multiple areas: optimizing voter effectiveness in elections, fair districting, and voting reform.

This year, we are bringing together all these projects under one umbrella, the Electoral Innovation Lab. Our general goal is to use math, data, and law to help bring about attainable improvements to make democracy more representative and responsive. We’ll be expanding, hiring, and building programs here at Princeton. Democracy needs repairs, and we want to help.

If you’d like to support us, here’s how.

Tags: 2020 Election · Princeton · Redistricting

• Dave Kliman

A piece in electoral-vote.com that mentioned the idea of a pool of nearly a couple hundred Supreme Court justices—where 9 would be randomly chosen on each case, reminded me of the story in “loonshots,” about the formation of ARPA (now, sadly, reduced to DARPA, thanks to Reagan), which was brilliantly designed, structurally, to maximize innovation, while minimizing politics.

It made me wonder what a whole government would look like that was designed like ARPA to maximize innovation and progress while minimizing power concentration, political ambition, bottlenecks, cronyism, etc. hmm.

That’s interesting.

We won’t be working on any loonshots. We’re only planning to work on reforms that might actually happen!

• ThatOne

Hey guys — just letting you know that when I try to go to gerrymander.princeton.edu using the Firefox browser, I’m blocked from doing so and this appears instead:

“Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead”

“Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to gerrymander.princeton.edu. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.”

I don’t know how to interpret or correct this, but please contact me if I can be of any help.

• ArcticStones

The connection works on my Firefox, although a warning symbol is displayed in front of the URL: “Connection is not secure”.

We know about this, thanks. We are spinning up https:// capability soon I hope!