Politics And Polls #4: An Unconventional Convention

July 21st, 2016, 6:34pm by Sam Wang

Politics & Polls #4 (podcast): in which Julian Zelizer and I chew over the convention’s role in shaping the race. Bonus overtime minute: Sam suddenly realizes how the Cruz/Trump smackdown is basically wrestling theater (be sure to click – must-reads from Washington Monthly and Balloon Juice).  Guess who’s the heel? (hint: not Trump.)
[Politics & Polls on iTunes] [on SoundCloud]
Courtesy of the Woodrow Wilson School.

• anonymous

I had that feeling that something was not quite right about the scene of the booing of Cruz at the convention without being able to pinpoint what was bothering me. When I read the Longman exposition, I felt that rush of recognizing the truth. Cruz walked into a Trump WWE-style trap, but luckily found himself in the position of claiming the higher ground of political courage afterwords, and is gladly accepting that role. The abundance of useful idiots in the press accepting that narrative can only help Cruz. Oh what a world we live in.

• Michael Hahn

Interesting comment about the analogy to the WWE theatrics (which I have never seen, so cannot judge). However, what has struck me about Trumps scripted entrances, especially the flying in and the spotlight silhouetted entrance the other night, is that what came to my mind first thing is the opening of the film “Triumph of the Will” by Leni Riefenstahl, which is a classic propaganda film done for the 1934 Nazi Party Congress in Nuremberg. It is NOT a comforting thought!!

The WWE theater is an interesting comparison. Maybe The Guardian could redo their election return animations? Would be nice to see Hillary busting a few moves on Donald. Be more interesting than the maps. :D

• Richard Vance

Sam, Thanks for all if this!

Am wondering how long to see full convention bounce and how is that phenomena extracted from normal opinion drift.

Richard