GOP debate #2 open thread

September 16th, 2015, 6:34pm by Sam Wang

Step 1: Turn on CNN.
Step 2: Refer to Matt Taibbi’s Debate Drinking Game.
Step 3: Comment!

Open thread.

Article in NYTimes about how post-Romney GOP primary rule changes may have unintended consequences:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/us/new-party-rules-fail-to-speed-up-republican-race.html
    –bks

Some early post-debate polling shows Trump still in the lead and Fiorina getting some of Carson voters. Caveat, N is really small, around 500 R+I RV, but who watched the 2nd debate.

http://morningconsult.com/2015/09/poll-fiorina-wins-debate-trump-still-leads/

• pechmerle

There was an interesting implication in one of Jeb’s foreign policy responses that I suspect went over most people’s heads. He was asked the question that has come up several times since his team became known, how is it that you say you will be your own man on foreign policy — distinct from your brother — and yet your advisors on foreign policy are virtually all drawn from the ranks of the advisors of the Bush I and Bush II administrations.
    Jeb responded that the last two Republican administrations there have been just happen to be those of his father and his brother, so who else would you expect me to obtain.
    The interesting implication, though, is that somehow there is no one in the Republican Party or associated with it that could give him new, fresh perspective on foreign policy and he has no choice but to go with the old guard from his relatives’ administrations.
    We know that this is in fact not true. E.g., you have people of the Rand Paul stripe who are against the kind of foreign military involvements of the two prior Bush presidents. But beyond the libertarian fringe, there is definitely more variation in the views of Republican foreign policy analysts than Jeb was willing to recognize in his response.
    A sad commentary on just how much he really would not be his own man on foreign policy if elected, and even wants to try to be.

Did Trump go all anti-vaxxer? And the doctor who believes in literal seven days of creation corrected him?

I prefer to think God put the fossil record in place because of her sense of humor and not as a test of faith. But that’s me. Why shouldn’t science be pick and choose? That’s what free will is all about. Personally I believe basic electrical science is all wrong and I’m designing some computer simulations to prove it.

And she also made it look like all the distant galaxies are flying away from us so we would assume a big bang and inflation. Clever deity.

538 Refugee, you think you’re joking, but I’ve seen people who embodied your last sentence in all sincerity. Back in Usenet days there was a guy who believed you could communicate faster than light using Ohm’s Law, and he could prove it with a program he had written in BASIC.

You had me until BASIC. Everyone knows you cannot violate Special Relativity with some silly interpreted language. You need to program down to the bare metal with assembler code.

As an undergrad I worked for a while with a professor who had written some popular books on Relativity. He showed us the huge number of letters he would get from people who had found THE error in Special Relativity (“I figured out where Einstein went wrong…” basically they all divided by zero somewhere). SR really really bugs people for some reason.

I think this inability to accept clear, basic truth is behind a lot of what we are seeing in the Republican primary.

Special Relativity is the most exotic subject in physics whose bizarre features can be fully described using high-school mathematics. As such, it’s easy for people to think they’re experts.

(Some of the freakiest bits of quantum mechanics are actually accessible using nothing worse than simple matrix algebra, but the subject usually isn’t introduced that way apart from the Feynman Lectures.)

• pechmerle

The nut jobs want to find Einstein wrong, instead of the 20th Century’s most brilliant theoretical physicist, because he was a Jew. They have to find a way out of the cognitive dissonance that generates for them.

• Florence

Jeb Bush is having much difficulty dealing the shadow of his older brother. He also lacks passion!

• Andy

Carly Fiorina will be deemed the big winner tonight, but I gotta tell ya: Her closing statement was written and voiced by Sarah Palin.

• JayBoy2k

There were lots of interesting discussions, clearly laying out a lot of positions we are likely to hear again in the next year. I thought that Carly, Mario, Ben, Cruz and Christie all helped themselves, most did not go up/down, but Rand Paul, Walker, Huckabee, Kasich did not help themselves.

Fiorina and Christie may have helped themselves. No help for the rest. Factcheckers will have a field day and, like always, be ignored. –bks

• Art

W “kept us safe”? What was 9/11, a mulligan?

• JayBoy2k

Well, you are referring to a GOP debate with a Republican audience. Bush took office on January 20th 2001 and 9/11 was 8 months later. If you recall 9/11, there were soldiers in Airports with automatic weapons, and we were wondering when the next attack was coming, a month , a year or ?
      So “W kept us safe” referred to the 7 years before the hand_off to Obama in 2008.

8.3 Earthquake in Chile. CNN executive heads exploding. –bks

Somehow, going for a long walk seems like it would be a better use of my time.

You would have missed Carson saying that he “will not lick the boots of billionaires”. –bks

I’ll be lucky not to bleed out from the bite marks in my tongue, but out of respect to Sam and his moderation duties protecting the domain name, I will not post my thoughts on that remark. But oh the possibilities.