Offline for a moment…

October 28th, 2012, 9:08pm by Sam Wang

I must relocate the server in light of the imminent hurricane strike. Don’t be concerned if we go away for a bit. Update: back. Fingers crossed!

Tags: Meta-analysis · Site News

• Ms. Jay Sheckley

Scared me when I couldnt see your site. Glad youre back.

• Khan

Is anyone else getting very upset with Nate Silver’s increasing inability to respect his own data? Every post is filled with downplaying the electoral college stronghold the President has.

• E L

Take care and be safe. We’ll deal with Jen Rubin and Jay Cost while you’re down—not much of a challenge really.

• JustAnotherUndecidedVoter

Hurricane? What hurricane?

• Tom Gavin

There he goes again!

• Joel

take care. I am addicted to this site, so dont be offline for too long.

• wheelers cat

All hell is breaking loose on twitter. Jay Cost and Jen Rubin have declared war on the Central Limit Theorem.
    After the election we are all going to be living in Anathem.

• Steven J. Wangsness

I LOVE that the MM is ip to 2.14!

• Aaron Mayorga

Welcome back! Stay safe during the storm.

• Michael NC

Welcome back!
    Are you really running this site on a unix box you can throw on a cart and move?
    Doesn’t an institution as prestigious as Princeton have a real web server you can use? ;-)

The particle physics folks in Jadwin Hall must have a dozen or so dual-quad-core rack mount units with 32G memory. At least. That’s what we have and we’re a state school.

That wasn’t the problem.

It will take ~10 hours to remap the new IP address. Doing that would address the specific scenario in which we lose building power *but* internet service is intact. I’ve decided to leave it on the UPS where it is, and hope for the best…good planning, huh?

Sam, for future reference. If you anticipate a move set your TTL to about 60 seconds in your dns records. You have to do this in advance depending on what your current TTL is. Some folks will ignore this and cache for 24 hours regardless though it seems.

If Sandy takes just the median destruction found in the media forecasts, it is going to have an effect on the election. No one is going to pay attention to campaign rallies for the next three days. I’m at a loss to figure out which candidate this favors.

• MJ Joe

I’ll gladly trade the updates if it means people stay safe.

• Shirley Scritchfield

Holding all of you in the Light as your struggle with this mega-storm! Take good care.

• Filmmaker78

Thanks for all of the work you put into this. Be safe.

• Steve

Best wishes to you. Please be safe and good luck.

• DJW

Now you tell us.

Hope you and yours are safe, Sam.

• JGO

From out here on West Coast, I’m hoping everyone on the East Coast will be dry and safe. Take care.

• Dean

Good luck, and please be safe!

• Michael NC

Good luck with that. When I lived in S. Fl. we had to protect our servers (Biopharma IT) many times over the years. BTW, my late father was in PR/Fund raising at Princeton in the 70′s. My sister and I would take the rattler ever month to visit him. The best marching band, i’d say!
    Go Tigers!

• Anbruch

Hope you don’t have to down too long and stay safe!