Nobels

October 13th, 2008, 11:40am by Sam Wang

Today, Paul Krugman, professor of economics and international affairs here at Princeton, won the Nobel Prize in Economics for his work on international trade. Here’s his quirky, fascinating essay on how he thinks. Congratulations, Paul!

The Chemistry prize is in an area that touches my research…One of the winners, Osamu Shimomura, did his work in what is now my lab space here at Princeton. The prize was given for the discovery and exploitation of Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP), which comes from jellyfish and is now a universal tool in biology. Another winner, Roger Tsien of UCSD, is a pioneer in the design of fluorescent molecules that help us spy on cellular events in the laboratory. His achievements, not just with GFP but other synthetic probes as well, make possible the work of several laboratories here at Princeton, including my own. I’ve known Roger for several decades and admired him tremendously. Congratulations, Roger!

Tags: Princeton

• Ward

Nice post. I have been reading your site for the last couple of months but had no idea you were a scientist.
    if you want to read an interesting take on the nobel prize in chemistry you should take a look at this:
    http://brainhealthhacks.com/2008/10/14/near-nobel-prize-winner-working-at-toyota-dealership-for-10hr/

Aaron, in the case of multiple awards, the committee must narrow their award to no more than three people. There is talk this year of whether the award to Chalfie/Shimomura/Tsien unfairly left out Prasher. That’s a moving and somewhat upsetting story, but the final decision seemed okay. Likewise, I think the committee chose well with Montagnier.

• Independent

Thanks, Sam, for devoting a column to the prizes in economics and chemistry. It’s a relief and a brief escape from the weird world that deliriously celebrates Sarah Palin.

• Lee

Congratulations to Professor Krugman! It couldn’t happen to a better guy.

• David Shor

Everyone on campus must be thrilled, Congrats

• Aaron

Prof Wang-

Speaking of Nobel prizes, any opinions on Montagnier vs. Gallo?

• BB

Well deserved on both! Krugman seems almost eerily prescient. As for GFP, well, I’m among the first to use it as a reporter gene for transfections. Used it today, in fact. I heard Dr. Tsien give a talk at Los Alamos National Labs some years back, when I went for some advanced training. Interesting field in its own right, the fluorescent proteins and muteins.

• Andrew Taylor

At the press conference, Martin Chalfie said that the first thing he did after winning the [2008 Nobel Prize in Chemistry] was call up a friend who had previously won a Nobel Prize, to see how he too could get his name on a list of Nobel Prize laureates who support Barack Obama.

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/10/more_obama

• Ginny Mayer

Fantastic for Paul Krugman! I’m so glad to see the recognition.